Saturday, February 11, 2012

Edible Arrays

Our class was reviewing meanings for multiplication awhile back and I noticed students were lacking experience using arrays to multiply. I wanted to make sure my students were adequately engaged and challenged by the task, so what a better way to engage than with FOOD! :)


I bought a huge bag of cheap cereal from the local market and gave each student a handful. They were challenged with the task of creating an array with their cereal, to write the multiplication problem it represents, and to write a word problem to go with it. So easy and fun! The kids loved the fact they could eat the cereal they didn't use.

You can easily incorporate technology into teaching arrays by giving students a digital camera and ask them to take snapshots of arrays around the classroom, school, or even at home. After this activity, my students were recognizing arrays all around them.
What fun ideas do you have to teach arrays in multiplication? I'd love to hear them when you leave comment down below! :) Enjoy your weekend! 
 

5 comments:

  1. Congrats on starting a blog! I just started in September and it took awhile for it to catch on.(November) Keep blogging every week! I think that blogging has changed me as a teacher and I have become more reflective. There are so many great ideas out there and we all learn from each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your words of encouragement, Kelly! And thank you for the "follow"! I've already been planning some future posts. :) See ya around!

      Delete
  2. I love this idea!!! My kids love any lesson that involves food! And I love the idea of taking pictures of arrays in real life! I could definitely have my kids do this and post the pictures to their blogs! Thanks for sharing this great idea!

    Molly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will remember this idea to use with my 4th graders. I am new to blogging and I love the beach, so I was curious about your blog because of the name. Your blog is wonderful! :) I will definitely be visiting again.

      Janna
      Fabulous Finch Facts

      Delete
    2. Janna - The kids had so much fun munching and making their arrays. :) Your kids will love it! Thank you for following! I'll be blog hopping your way soon!

      Have a great day!

      Josh

      Delete